When should I call the KFA office?

If you have any concerns about your rate of pay or contractual obligations, or if you experience difficulty with any aspect of your employment here, contact the KFA immediately. Your first contact should be your Executive Representative. You will find a list of the representatives here.  For general union information, contact the union office at 604-599-2200.

Where do I find the collective agreement?

You can find a copy of the collective agreement online at the Kwantlen Faculty Association web site: http//www.kfa.bc.ca/.  On the web site, you can also find copies of current and past Kwantlen Faculty Association newsletters, KFActs, as well as other current union information.

Where do I get my Kwantlen ID card?

Kwantlen ID Cards, or "KPU Cards," are obtained at any Campus Library.  In addition to being your official Kwantlen ID, they also act as your library card and can be used for photocopying on any campus.

Whom do I contact if I need help about an issue related to my contract?

Your first contact should be your Executive Representative. You will find a list of the representatives on the next page.  For general union information, you can also contact the union office at 604-599-2200 .

What about parking?

To park in one of Kwantlen’s parking lots, you must purchase either a daily parking ticket or a parking pass.  Daily tickets cost $1.00 for 30 minutes, up to a maximum of 90 minutes and $5.00 for all day.  Weekly E-Permits can also be purchased for $16.00 a week, up to 16 weeks. Annual parking permits are also available for eligible employees.

What do I do how much I should be paid?

Articles 9 and 10 in the Collective Agreement detail faculty salaries. For NR2 and regular faculty members, it’s important to make sure that you’re getting paid at the correct step. Article 9.02 and 9.03 detail how you can be placed at a higher step on the salary scale. Your salary step placement can be reconsidered during the first four months of your appointment. Also, if you gain additional credentials, you can gain higher placement. If you’re unsure about whether you’re being paid correctly, make sure to contact the KFA.

What do I do about students who want into a section that is already full?

Instructors do not have the authority to allow students into a full section.  Requests for enrolling an extra student are sent by Kwantlen to the KFA Vice-President—Grievances who, in turn, informs the faculty member of the request.  There is a limit of one student per section for enrolment overloads. Faculty are under no obligation to accept an extra student.

Whom do I contact if I am ill and unable to work?

Contact your Dean's Office through e-mail or telephone and notify your students through myKwantlen. For student KPU e-mail addresses, you can access your class list through the Online Self Service tab of myKwantlen. Most faculty members are entitled to 30 days' sick leave a year. See Article 15 of the Local Collective Agreement for details.

How can I get involved with the KFA?

Contact your Executive Representative or any of the Table Officers and let them know of your interest.  We warmly welcome volunteers! Call 604-599-2200.

Other questions?

Contact the KFA, we are here to help.

Call (604) 599-2200 or visit us in person in Fir #226 on the Surrey campus.